I discovered this recipe from the amazing Georgia from Stirring Change, and recommend it daily. I love that it is a wholefood based immune tonic that's easy to make and actually tastes good - I know it sounds like it would be terrible, but is actually has a tart, refreshing taste!
Makes approx 1 litre
Choose 200-300g of each main ingredient:
White or any other hot onion Horseradish root/wasabi/radish
Turmeric root: 1–2 pieces
Cinnamon Stick: 1–2
Peppercorns: 1 dessert spoon
Lemongrass: 1 piece
Raw unfiltered honey: 1 tablespoon
Other optional ingredients to taste or availability: Parsley/Coriander, Tamarind root, Echinacea
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother in it, live, unfiltered, unbleached, non-distilled)
1. Start on a new moon and strain on a full moon, which is about 14 days.
2. Chop or coarsely grate all the ingredients and mix together. A food processer or high speed blender makes this step very easy- just leave ingredients chopped not liquid! Rubber gloves are handy here to avoid the tumeric stains.
3. Fill the jar to 3⁄4 full with the chopped/grated ingredients, then top up with Apple Cider Vinegar to 2–4 cm below the rim depending on the size of your batch.
4. Close firmly and shake to get rid of air bubbles, then top up if required with more Apple Cider Vinegar and close firmly.
5. Ferment on the kitchen bench in a cool, dark corner out of direct sunlight. Wrap in a tea towel, if necessary, to keep sunlight out.
6. Stir once a day or give the bottle a shake when you pass it on the kitchen bench.
7. Strain after 14 days, but can be left up to 28 days. Strain through a coffee filter as it’s so fine or through cotton or other fine fabric to remove sediment. After straining, sediment will continue to sink to the bottom and is quite normal.
8. Bottle, label/date and store in a dark place or the fridge and take a daily shot when immune boost is needed.