Trio of Paleo Dips
I love dips, but store bought ones often contain cheap vegetable oil and nasty preservatives. These recipe uses the same tahini base to create 3 delicious healthy dips. Tahini is a great source of calcium and magnesium, both nutrients the modern diet often lacks. Serve with crunchy vegetable crudités for a healthy snack.
2 small eggplants, pricked
500g broad beans or peas (frozen is fine)
4 medium beetroots (or one can, drained)
1/2 cup tahini (x 3)
1 clove garlic, minced (x 2)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (x 3)
1/3rd cup mint leaves
Himalyan salt & pepper to season
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Radishes, wax beans, or carrots, for dipping
1. BBQ or roas eggplants on a rimmed baking sheet, turning occasionally, until soft and charred, about 20 minutes. When cool, remove skin and stems and mash flesh.
2. Mash in tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp minced garlic.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and serve
1. Clean and roast beetroot for 1 hour, let cool
2. Process beetroot, 2 tbsp lemon, 1/2 cup tahini in food processor until smooth. Season to taste
1.Cook the broad beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 3 mins. Drain and cool. Slip broad beans from skins (peas also work in this recipe)
2.Process broad beans, 1 tsp minced garlic, mint leaves, lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste.