This is a favourite winter staple in our home. We usually double the recipe and freeze in portions ready for a quick mid week meal. It's full of sneaky vegetables and high in protein due to the chicken and lentil combination, and when served with cauliflower rice it is an especially nutritious alternative to oily takeaways.
1 onion (chopped)
1 x 4cm piece of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. curry paste (or make your own using ground spices)
3 tbsp. natural yoghurt or coconut cream
1 kg chicken (I like to use organic chicken thighs)
1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400 g tin green lentils
1 x 400 g tin light coconut milk
Selection 3 vegies- we like zucchini, eggplant & pumpkin
500g spinach, chopped (can use frozen)
sea salt, black pepper, fresh herbs to taste
1. Mix yoghurt/coconut cream with curry paste and add chopped up chicken, set aside to marinate for 30 mins.
2. Meanwhile saute onion and garlic on low heat in coconut oil until soft-approx 8 mins. Add garlic and ginger and cook for further 2 minutes.
3. Add marinated chicken, then lentils, coconut milk and bring to boil.
4. Add selection of vegetables (hardest vegies first, softest last) and leave to simmer for 30mins.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and spinach and cook for further 15mins.
6. Serve with cauliflower rice or popadoms and top with fresh herbs to taste.